Earl Sterndale is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Derbyshire, created in 1763 from chapelry in Hartington Ancient Parish.
Other places in the parish include: Hartington Middle Quarter.
Alternative names: Earlsterndale
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1765
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1800
Nonconformists include: Wesleyan Methodist
- Macclesfield Forest with Wildboarclough
- Middleton and Smerrill
- King Sterndale
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
EARL-STERNDALE, a chapelry in Hartington parish, Derby; on the river Dove, at the boundary with Stafford, 4¾ miles SSE of Buxton r. station, and 7½ W of Winster. It contains a hamlet of its own name; but is itself conterminate with Hartington-Middle-Quarter township. Post town, Hartington, under Ashborne. Real property, £3,844. Pop., 326. Houses, 69. The living is a p. curacy in the dio. of Lichfield. Value, £130. Patron, the Duke of Devonshire. The church was rebuilt in 1828.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Civil Registration District: Bakewell
Probate Court: Court of the Peculiar of Hartington
Rural Deanery: Buxton
Poor Law Union: Bakewell