Derby All Saints Derbyshire Family History Guide

Derby All Saints is an Ancient Parish and a market town in the county of Derbyshire.

Parish church: All Saints

Parish registers begin:

  • Parish registers: 1558
  • Bishop’s Transcripts: 1659

Nonconformists include: Baptist

Adjacent Parishes

Historical Descriptions

See also Derby Derbyshire Family History Guide

History, Gazetteer and Directory of Derbyshire Bagshaw 1846

All Saints anciently and still by some called All Hallows is a principal ornament to Derby. It is mentioned in the reign of Henry III. In the succeeding reign, with the seven prebendaries and other appurtenances it was made a free chapel of the king and exempted from all ordinary jurisdiction. The archdeacon of Derby was restrained from exercising ecclesiastical authority over it and it was rendered immediately subject to the pope. It still enjoys the privilege of being exempt from all ecclesiastical jurisdiction. This church was collegiate and the master or rector seems to have been the dean of Lincoln. A house termed the college adjoins the church and was probably the residence of the collegians. To the college belonged two acres and a half of land, lying in Bridge croft, Derby; all manner of tithes within the town and fields of Quarndon; tithes the same in Little Eaton; one messuage, with lands, meadows, and pastures appertaining to it; a barn, with lands meadows and pastures lands and hereditaments, called the two small prebends; a messuage and tenement and one close of land with the appurtenances all situated in Little Chester together with all manner of tithes within the liberty. In the twenty sixth year of Henry VIII the revenues of the college amounted to £39 12s in the whole, or £38 14s clear. There was also founded within the church of All Saints the guild of the Holy Trinity; it was endowed with various messuages tenements cottages gardens meadows and pastures in the town of Derby which in the time of queen Mary were in the occupation of more than twenty different persons; the church was with all these endowments granted by queen Mary in the 1st year of her reign to the bailiffs and burgesses of Derby. This grant ordains "that in the parish church of All Saints, there shall be two vicarages perpetual, to be instituted and endowed, which may have succession perpetual," There is now only one vicarage, but there is a Wednesday evening lectureship, for which £28 per annum is paid. Since the passing of the New Municipal Act the corporation have sold the advowson of this and of St Alkmund's churches.

The church of All Saints has been once if not twice rebuilt since the time when it is first mentioned in history The present structure was erected in the years 1723 1724 and 1725 from a design of Gibbs and was opened on the 21st of November 1725 The living is a perpetual curacy of the certified value of 80 Simeon's trustees are the patrons and the Rev Edward Lillingstone incumbent It is a handsome modern church of classical architecture with embellishments of the Roman Doric Order and cost about 4,000 The interior is particularly light elegant and spacious But the tower is more ancient and is said to have been built in the reign of queen Mary. Speed asserts that it was raised at the charge of young men and maids as is corroborated by the inscription on the north and south sides This tower is of peculiar beauty displaying the latest style of pointed architecture and consisting of three stages the lowest of which has a western door way with a niche on each side the others ornamented windows and the whole is crowned with rich battlements crockets high pinnacles and other decorations the whole being about 60 yards high This tower is now 184S undergoing a thorough restoration and when completed will be one of the most splendid towers in the kingdom The cost will be upwards of 1,200 It contains a peal of ten bells Within the iron screen at the east end of the church and on the south side is a vault in which several of the Cavendish family have been interred Here is a monument to William Earl of Devonshire who died in 1628 and to his Countess whose figures stand under a dome nearly twelve feet in height There is also a very splendid mural monument to the memory of the celebrated Countess of Shrewsbury with a Latin inscription executed under her own inspection This very celebrated Elizabeth Countess of Shrewsbury built the houses of Chatsworth Hardwick and Oldcotes highly distinguished by their magnificence and died on the thirteenth day of February 1607 about the eighty seventh year of her age Here too was interred John Lombe who established the first silk mill in England There is also a monument to Dr Michael Hutchinson the curate who obtained £3,249 by subscription for rebuilding the church So industrious was the Dr in his successful solicitations that he treated the waiter who fiddled at his door with a tankard of ale and wheedled a guinea out of them Another monument is commemorative of Richard Croshaw Esq said to be the son of a poor nailer of this town who went to London in a leathern doublet to seek work where by his industry and success he acquired a fortune of £10,000 We learn from the inscription upon the monument that he was master of the right worshipful company of goldsmiths and deputy of Broad street Ward that in the great plague in 1625 neglecting his own safety he abode in the city to provide for the relief of the poor and by his will left above £4,000 to the corporation of Derby for the support of lectures relief of the poor and other pious uses He died in June 1631 and was buried in the parish of St Bartholomew by the Exchange where he had lived 31 years His executors erected this monument to encourage others of great estate to imitate his piety and charity Rev Philip Brown curate Mr Geo Fletcher organist Samuel Walton Clerk J Marshall beadle and T Harrison sexton

Source: History, gazetteer and directory of Derbyshire, with the town of Burton-upon-Trent; Samuel Bagshaw (of Sheffield.) 1846

Parish Records

England, Derbyshire, Church of England Parish Registers, 1537-1918

Marriages

Derby All Saints Derbyshire Marriages 1558-1812 - UK Genealogy Archives

Derby All Saints Derbyshire Marriages 1813-1837 - UK Genealogy Archives

Administration

County: Derbyshire
Civil Registration District: Derby
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Lichfield (Episcopal Consistory)
Diocese: Lichfield
Rural Deanery: Derby
Poor Law Union: Derby
Hundred: Derby Borough
Province: Canterbury