Denby is an Ancient Parish in the county of Derbyshire.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1577
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1673
Nonconformists include: Wesleyan Methodist
- Codnor and Loscoe
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
DENBY, a parish in Belper district, Derby; on the Ripley railway, 3¼ miles ESE of Belper. It has a station on the railway, and a post office under Derby. Acres, 2,395. Real property, £6,368; of which £1,700 are in mines. Pop., 1,338. Houses, 249. The property is divided among a few. Most of the inhabitants are miners, potters, or stocking-makers. Coal mines, formerly worked here, were recently exhausted. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £130. Patron, W. D. Lowe, Esq. The church is ancient but good; was recently enlarged; and has a tower and spire. There are a Wesleyan chapel, and an endowed school with £48 a year. Flamsteed, the astronomer, was a native.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Denby Derbyshire Marriages 1557-1837 - UK Genealogy Archives
Civil Registration District: Belper
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Lichfield (Episcopal Consistory)
Rural Deanery: Alfreton
Poor Law Union: Belper
Hundred: Morleston and Litchurch