Darley is an Ancient Parish in the county of Derbyshire.
Alternative names: Cross Green, Darley Dale, Darley and Little Rowsley
Other places in the parish include: Wensley and Snitterton.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1539
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1669
Nonconformists include: Wesleyan Methodist
- South Darley
- Matlock Bath
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
DARLEY, a township and a parish in Bakewell district, Derby. The township lies on the river Derwent, adjacent to the Rowsley railway, 5 miles SE by S of Bakewell; and has a station on the railway, a post office, of the name of Darley-Dale, under Matlock-Bath, and fairs on 13 May and 27 Oct. Real property, £6,221; of which £211 are in quarries. Pop., 1,574. Houses, 314. The parish contains also the township of Wensley and Snitterton. Acres, 7,104. Rated property, £10,400. Pop., 2,156. Houses, 451. The property is much sub-divided. Darley Hall is a chief residence. Good sandstone is found; lead ore is mined; and manufactures of stockings, cotton, and paper are carried on. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £434. Patron, the Bishop of Lichfield. The church is partly Norman, and very good; and the churchyard has a yew-tree, 33 feet in girth of trunk. The p. curacy of Cross-Green or South Darley, constituted in 1845, is a separate benefice. . Value, £94. Patron, the Rector of Darley. The church is tolerable. There is a Wesleyan chapel. A school has £32 from endowment; and other charities £5. A priory of Black canons was built at Darley, in the time of Henry II., by Hugh, dean of Derby.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Civil Registration District: Bakewell
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Lichfield (Episcopal Consistory)
Rural Deanery: Bakewell
Poor Law Union: Bakewell
Hundred: High Peake; Wirksworth