Clifton is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Derbyshire, created in 1846 from chapelry in Ashbourne with Mapleton Ecclesiastical Parish.
Alternative names: Clifton with Compton, Clifton and Compton
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1845
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1845
Nonconformists include: Independent/Congregational and Primitive Methodist.
- Osmaston by Ashbourne
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
CLIFTON-WITH-COMPTON, a township in Ashborne parish, Derby; on the river Dove, and the Ashborne railway, 1 mile SW of Ashborne. It has a station, of the name of Clifton, on the railway. Post town, Ashborne. Acres, 1,016. Real property, £3,491. Pop., 894. Houses, 199. Clifton, without Compton, is a chapelry. Pop., 503. The living is a vicarage in the dio. of Lichfield-Value, £150. Patron, the Vicar of Ashborne. The church was built mainly in 1845, partly in 1869.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Civil Registration District: Ashbourne
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Lichfield (Episcopal Consistory)
Rural Deanery: Ashbourne
Poor Law Union: Ashbourne
Hundred: Morleston and Litchurch