Church Gresley is an Ancient Parish in the county of Derbyshire.
Other places in the parish include: Castle Gresley, Drakelow, Linton, Oakthorpe, and Donisthorpe.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1574
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1664
Separate registers exist for Donisthorpe
- Parish registers: 1838
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1838
Nonconformists include: Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Primitive Methodist, and Wesleyan Methodist.
- Stretton en le Field
- Burton upon Trent Christ Church
- Walton on Trent
- Ashby de la Zouch Holy Trinity
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
CHURCH-GRESLEY, a township in the district of Burton-upon-Trent, and a parish in the districts of Burton-upon-Trent and Ashby-de-la-Zouch, and county of Derby. The township lies around Gresley r. station, 4½ miles SE of Burton-upon-Trent. Pop., 2,108. Houses, 395. The parish includes the townships of Swadlincote, Drakelow, Linton, Castle-Gresley, and parts of Donisthorpe and Oakthorpe hamlets; and its post town is Swadlincote, under Burton-upon-Trent. Acres, 6,700. Real property, with the rest of D. and O., £25,996; of which £8,269 are in mines. Pop., 4,416. Houses, 852. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £108. The church is Norman, and was about to be restored in 1869. Patron, the Rev. Dr. Lloyd. The vicarage of Swadlincote is a separate benefice. There are a P. Methodist chapel and a national school.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Civil Registration District: Burton upon Trent
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Lichfield (Episcopal Consistory)
Rural Deanery: Hartshorn
Poor Law Union: Burton upon Trent
Hundred: Repton and Gresley