Chelmorton is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Derbyshire, created in 1743 from chapelry in Bakewell Ancient Parish.
Other places in the parish include: Flagg.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1587
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1663
Nonconformists include: Presbyterian, Primitive Methodist, and Wesleyan Methodist.
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
CHELMORTON, a township-chapelry in Bakewell parish, Derby; near the Buxton railway, 4 miles ESE of Buxton. Post town, Buxton. Real property, £1, 961. Pop., 229. Houses, 52. A barrow, 240 feet in circuit, was opened here in 1782. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £78. Patron, the Vicar of Bakewell. The church is old, and has a fine spire; and the chancel was restored in 1869. There are an Independent chapel and an endowed school.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Civil Registration District: Bakewell
Probate Court: Court of the Peculiar of the Dean and Chapter of Lichfield
Rural Deanery: Buxton
Poor Law Union: Bakewell
Hundred: High Peake