Breadsall is an Ancient Parish in the county of Derbyshire.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1573
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1673
Nonconformists include: Wesleyan Methodist
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
BREADSALL, a parish in Shardlow district, Derbyshire; on the Little Eaton canal and the Midland railway, 2½ miles NNE of Derby. It has a post office under Derby. Acres, 2,410. Real property, £4,114. Pop., 592. Houses, 135. The property is divided among a few. A fine building-stone is quarried. A small priory was founded by the Dethicks, in the time of Henry III.; was given, at the dissolution, to the Duke of Suffolk; passed to. Sir John Bentley, to Erasmus Darwin, and to Sir Francis Darwin; was purchased, in the present century by Francis Morley, Esq.; underwent, in 1861, extensive restoration; and is now a beautiful specimen of pointed architecture, with a tower 70 feet high, commanding a view to Lichfield cathedral. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £580. Patron, Sir J. H. Crewe, Bart. The church is decorated English, in good condition. There are a Wesleyan chapel, an endowed national school, and charities £70. Hierom, the abridger of Poole’s “Synopsis,” was rector; and Dr. Darwin, the naturalist, was a resident.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Derbyshire parish registers. Marriages
by Phillimore, W. P. W. (William Phillimore Watts), 1853-1913, ed; Blagg, Thomas Matthews, ed
Breadsall Derbyshire Marriages 1573 to 1837 – Archive.org
Breadsall Derbyshire Marriages 1573 to 1837 – UK Genealogy Archives
Civil Registration District: Shardlow
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Lichfield (Episcopal Consistory)
Rural Deanery: Duffield
Poor Law Union: Shardlow