Brassington is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Derbyshire, created in 1743 from chapelry in Bradbourne with Ballidon Ancient Parish.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1716
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1675
Nonconformists include: Independent/Congregational and Primitive Methodist.
- Bradbourne with Ballidon
- Middleton by Wirksworth
- Griffe Grange
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
BRASSINGTON, a township-chapelry and a subdistrict, in the district of Ashborne, Derby. The chapelry is in Bradbourne parish; lies 4 miles W by N of Wirksworth, and 7 WSW of Cromford r. station; and has a post office under Wirksworth. Real property, £6,552. Pop., 718. Houses, 163. The property is subdivided. Brassington Hall is a chief residence. Slate tiles, from a peculiar kind of grey clay, are manufactured. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £508. Patron, the Rev. J. B. Littler. The church is partly Norman; and was repaired in 1858. There are three dissenting chapels, and a free school. The subdistrict contains three parishes, parts of three others. and an extra-parochial tract. Pop., 4,470.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Civil Registration District: Ashbourne
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Lichfield (Episcopal Consistory)
Rural Deanery: Wirksworth
Poor Law Union: Ashbourne