Brampton is an Ancient Parish in the county of Derbyshire.
Alternative names: Old Brampton
Other places in the parish include: Culthorpe and Cutthorpe.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1658
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1665
Nonconformists include: Primitive Methodist, and Wesleyan Methodist.
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
BRAMPTON, a parish in Chesterfield district, Derby; 3½ miles W by N of Chesterfield r. station. It includes the village of Culthorpe; and has two post offices, of the names of Old Brampton and New Brampton, under Chesterfield. Acres, 8,820. Real property, £10,141. Pop., 4,927. Houses, 1,051. The property is much subdivided. Brampton Hall is the seat of the Dicksons. Coal and iron ore are found; and pottery-ware, lace, and stockings are manufactured. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £300. Patron, the Bishop of Lichfield. The parish church is tolerable. St. Thomas's church is a Gothic structure with a tower; was erected in 1832, at a cost of £2,930; and is served by a rector, with income of £300, appointed by the bishop. There are chapels for Independents, Wesleyans, and Primitive Methodists, an endowed school, two national schools, and charities £74.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Records for England
Births and Baptism Records
War and Conflict
Civil Registration District: Chesterfield
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Lichfield (Episcopal Consistory)
Rural Deanery: Brampton
Poor Law Union: Chesterfield