Beard is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Derbyshire, created in 1844 from Glossop Ancient Parish.
Alternative names: New Mills, Newmills
Other places in the parish include: Ollersett, Thornsett, Whittle, and Glossop Dale.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1831
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1844
Nonconformists include: Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Independent/Congregational, Primitive Methodist, Roman Catholic, Society of Friends/Quaker, and Wesleyan Methodist.
- Chinley, Bugsworth and Brownside
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
NEWMILLS, a village and a chapelry in Glossop parish, Derby. The village stands on the river Goyt, at the boundary with Cheshire, ¾ of a mile N of the Manchester, Stockport, and Buxton railway, and 7¾ miles ESE of Stockport; was originally called Bowder-Middle-Cale; took the name of Newmills from the erection of a newmill on its site; is a large place; and has a post-office under Stockport, a station with telegraph on the M. and B. railway, a station also on the Midland railway, a savings' bank, and fairs on 12 May and 22 Oct. The chapelry contains also the hamlets of Beard, Thornsett, Whittle, and Ollersett; and is conterminate with the township of Beard. Acres, 5,044. Real property, £15,623, of which £1,150 are in mines. Pop. in 1851, 4,366; in 1861, 4,822. Houses, 940. The property is much subdivided. High Lee Hall is the residence of W. S. Lowe, Esq.; Oak House, of J. Fielding, Esq.; Ollersett Hall, of G. Eyre, Esq.; Watford Villa, of J. Ingham, Esq.; and Aspenshaw Hall, of H. Lees, Esq. There are many calico-printing works and cotton-band manufactories, and an iron and brass foundry. The living is a p.curacy in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £150. Patron, the Vicar of Glossop. The church is a handsome edifice, in the pointed style; and consists of nave, aisles, and chancel, with tower and spire. There are chapels for Independents, Wesleyans, Primitive Methodists, United Free Methodists, and Roman Catholics, and a mixed national school. The R. Catholic chapel is a very fine structure, in the early English style; and has a tower and spire. The workhouse of Hayfield district also is here; and, at the census of 1861, had 41 inmates.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Civil Registration District: Hayfield
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Lichfield (Episcopal Consistory)
Rural Deanery: Castleton
Poor Law Union: Hayfield
Hundred: High Peake