Ashover is an Ancient Parish in the county of Derbyshire.
Other places in the parish include: Doehole.
Status: Ancient Parish
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1621
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1667
Nonconformists include: Primitive Methodist and Wesleyan Methodist.
Parishes adjacent to Ashover
- Chesterfield St Mary and All Saints
- North Wingfield
- Dethick Lea and Holloway
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
ASHOVER, a village, a township, a parish, and a sub district in Derby. The village stands in a deep narrow valley, near the rivers Amber and Milntown, 3 miles WNW of Stretton r. station, and 7 SSW of Chesterfield. It is a place of great antiquity; had a church at Domesday; and was once a market-town. Fairs are still held at it on 25 April and 15 Oct.; and it has a post office under Chesterfield. Lace-making is carried on. Tambour-working and stocking-weaving also were once prominent; but the former has ceased, and the latter is declining. The township includes the village, and is in the district of Chesterfield. Acres, 9,180. Real property, £9,732. Pop., 2,351. Houses, 542. The parish includes also the chapelry of Dethwick-Lea, in the district of Belper. Acres, 11,290. Real property, £13,206. Pop., 3,286. Houses, 748. The property is much subdivided. Limestone is quarried; and lead ore was formerly mined. Overton Hall was the seat of Sir Joseph Banks, the president of the Royal Society. Dethwick was the seat of the Babingtons; one of whom was executed for treason against Queen Elizabeth. Lea Hurst, a fine Gothic mansion, is the seat of the Nightingales. Robin Hood's Mark, a rocking-stone about 26 feet in circuit, is on a slope of Ashover Common; and the Turning-stone, a remarkably shaped block 9 feet high, supposed to have been an object of Druidical veneration, is about 200 yards further off. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £540. Patron, the Rev. J. Nodder. The church was built in 1419, and recently repaired; is surmounted by an embattled tower, and a handsome spire; has a grand window of stained glass, set up in 1845; and contains tombs of the Babingtons and two brasses. an endowed school, at High Ashover, has £28, and other charities £12. The p. curacy of Dethwick-Lea is a separate benefice. There are Wesleyan and Primitive Methodist chapels. The subdistrict of Ashover is in Chesterfield district, and contains two parishes, and parts of three others. Acres, 21,234. Pop., 10,757. Houses, 2,106.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Leonard's Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850
Ashover, 6 miles N.E. Wirksworth. P. 3482
Source: Leonard's Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.
Parish Records - FamilySearch
Records for England
Births and Baptism Records
War and Conflict
Civil Registration District: Chesterfield
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Lichfield (Episcopal Consistory)
Rural Deanery: Ashover
Poor Law Union: Chesterfield
Hundred: Scarsdale; Wirksworth