Wythop is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Cumberland, created in 1738 from Lorton Ecclesiastical Parish.
Other places in the parish include: Wythop Mill.
Parish registers begin: 1792
Parishes adjacent to Wythop
Lewis Topographical Dictionary of England 1845
WYTHOP, a chapelry, in the parish of Lorton, union of Cockermouth, Allerdale ward above Derwent, W. division of Cumberland, 5 miles (E. by S.) from Cockermouth ; containing 125 inhabitants. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £51; patrons, the Proprietors. The chapel is situated on an eminence above the western bank of Bassenthwaite lake. The ancient Hall has been converted into a farm-house. The Rev. John Hudson, a learned divine and critic, was born here in 1662.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis Fifth Edition Published London; by S. Lewis and Co., 13, Finsbury Place, South. M. DCCC. XLV.
- County: Cumberland
- Civil Registration District: Cockermouth
- Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Richmond Western Deaneries - Copeland
- Diocese: Carlisle
- Rural Deanery: Copeland
- Poor Law Union: Cockermouth
- Hundred: Allerdale above Derwent Ward
- Province: York