Wasdale Head is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Cumberland, created in 1719 from a chapelry in St Bees Ancient Parish.

Alternative names: Upper Wasdale

Parish church:

Parish registers begin:

  • Parish registers: 1721
  • Bishop’s Transcripts: 1721

Nonconformists include:

Table of Contents

Adjacent Parishes

Parish History

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

WASDALE-HEAD, a township-chapelry in St. Bees parish, Cumberland; comprising the upper part of Wasdale, 10 miles NE of Ravenglass r. station. Post town, Whitehaven. Acres, 7,000. Rated property, £258. Pop., 49. Houses, 7. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Carlisle. Value, £80. Patron, the Incumbent of St. Bees. The church is good.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848

WASDALE-HEAD, with Eskdale, a chapelry, in the parish of St. Bees, union of Bootle, Allerdale ward above Derwent, W. division of Cumberland, 11 miles (S. W. by S.) from Keswick; containing 375 inhabitants, of whom 35 are in Wasdale-Head. It is pleasantly situated at the head of Wast-water lake, in a narrow valley almost surrounded by lofty hills. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £80; patron, the Incumbent of St. Bees. The chapel is very small.

Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848

Parish Records

FamilySearch Catalog

Bishop’s transcripts for Wasdale-Head, 1718-1871

Computer printout of Wasdale Head, Cumb., Eng

Parish register printouts of Wasdale Head, Cumberland, England ; christenings, 1718-1871

Administration

  • County: Cumberland
  • Civil Registration District: Bootle
  • Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Richmond Western Deaneries – Copeland
  • Diocese: Carlisle
  • Rural Deanery: Copeland
  • Poor Law Union: Bootle
  • Hundred: Allerdale above Derwent Ward
  • Province: York

Related Parishes