Walton is an Ancient Parish in the county of Cumberland.
Other places in the parish include: Low Walton, Walton Moss, and High Walton.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1684
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1666
Nonconformists include: Wesleyan Methodist
Table of Contents
- Adjacent Parishes
- Parish History
- Parish Records
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
WALTON, a village, a parish, and a sub-district, in Brampton district, Cumberland. The village stands on the river Irthing and on the Roman wall, 2¾ miles N of Brampton, and 3½ NW of Milton r. station; and contains, in its cottages, many stones of the Roman wall.
The parish comprises Low W. and High W. townships, and comprises 3,592 acres. Post town, Brampton, Cumberland. Real property, £4,183; of which £40 are in quarries. Pop., 407. Houses, 80. The property is much subdivided. W. Hall belonged to the Dacres, and passed to the Johnsons. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Carlisle Value, £124. Patron, J. Dacre, Esq. The church is good; and there is an endowed school.
The sub-district contains two parishes and a part. Pop., 2,782. Houses, 540.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848
WALTON, a parish, in the union of Brampton, Eskdale ward, E. division of Cumberland; containing 440 inhabitants, of whom 152 are in High Walton, 10½ miles, and 288 in Low Walton, 10 miles, (N. E. by E.) from Carlisle.
The parish comprises 3592 acres, of which 500 are undivided moor and peat moss; the soil is generally argillaceous, interspersed with patches of fine loam. The surface is gently undulated, and the lower lands are watered by two small rivulets, called the Cambeck and Kingwater, which flow into the Irthing.
The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £131; patron, Joseph Dacre, Esq.; impropriator, W. P. Johnson, Esq. The church was rebuilt in 1813. The great tithes have been commuted for £176, and the small for £31. 7. The old Roman wall crossed the parish, which contained the station Petriana, whose site is now called Castle Steads: numerous inscriptions and other relics of antiquity have been discovered.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848
- County: Cumberland
- Civil Registration District: Brampton
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Carlisle (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Carlisle
- Rural Deanery: Carlisle
- Poor Law Union: Brampton
- Hundred: Eskdale Ward
- Province: York