Torpenhow is an Ancient Parish in the county of Cumberland.
Other places in the parish include: Bothel and Threapland, Torpenhow and Whittrigg, Torpenhow and Whitrigg, Whitrigg, Blennerhassett and Kirkland, Blennerhasset and Kirkland, and Bewaldeth and Snittlegarth.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1651
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1663
Nonconformists include: Independent/Congregational, Primitive Methodist, and Wesleyan Methodist.
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
TORPENHOW, a village and a township in Wigton district, and a parish partly also in Cockermouth district, Cumberland. The village stands 2¾ miles W by N of Ireby, and 3½ SSE of Brayton r. station; and has a post-office under Carlisle. The township includes Whitrigg hamlet. Real property, without that hamlet, £2,146. Pop. with W., 344. Houses, 67. The parish contains three other townships, and comprises 9,670 acres. Pop., 1,083. Houses, 221. The manor belongs to W. J. Charlton, Esq. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Carlisle. Value, £283. Patron, the Bishop of Carlisle. The church includes Norman remains, and is tolerable. There are an endowed school with £50 a year, and charities £15.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
FamilySearch - Free
Birth Marriage and Death Records
Migration and Naturalisation Records
Probate and Court Records
Civil Registration District: Wigton
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Carlisle (Episcopal Consistory)
Rural Deanery: Allerdale
Poor Law Union: Wigton
Hundred: Allerdale below Derwent Ward