Thursby is an Ancient Parish in the county of Cumberland.

Other places in the parish include: Crofton and Parton and Micklethwaite

Parish church: St. Andrew

Parish registers begin:

  • Parish registers: 1649
  • Bishop’s Transcripts: 1665

Nonconformists include: Wesleyan Methodist

Table of Contents

Adjacent Parishes

Parish History

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

THURSBY, a township and a parish in Wigton district, Cumberland. The township lies 1 mile N of Curthwaite r. station, and 4¾ ENE of Wigton; is said to have got its name from a temple of Thor; and has a post-office under Carlisle. Acres, 1,382. Real property, £3,223. Pop., 366. Houses, 84.

The parish includes two other townships, and comprises 2,984 acres. Pop., 588. Houses, 127. The property is much divided. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Carlisle. Value, £160. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Carlisle. The church was rebuilt in 1846. There are an endowed school with £18 a year, and charities £13.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848

THURSBY (St. Andrew), a parish, in the union of Wigton, ward, and E. division of the county, of Cumberland, containing, with the townships of Crofton, and Parton with Micklethwaite, 574 inhabitants, of whom 390 are in the township of High Thursby, 6 miles (S. W.) from Carlisle.

This parish is supposed to have derived its name from Thor, the Saxon deity, to whose honour a temple is said to have been erected at Woodrigs, in the neighbourhood. High Thursby comprises 1071a. 1r. 6p., of which 861 acres are arable, 176 meadow, and 21 mere.

The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king’s books at £11. 10. 5.; net income, £160; patrons and appropriators, the Dean and Chapter of Carlisle. The great tithes of High Thursby have been commuted for £150, and the small for £84: the vicar has a glebe of 23 acres. Here is a school, founded in 1740, and endowed in 1798 by Thomas Tomlinson, Esq., with the interest of £354. A pillar of coarse stone, inscribed to Philip the Emperor and his son, A.D. 248, dug up near the military way at Wigton, is carefully preserved here.

Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848

Parish Records

FamilySearch

England, Cumberland, Thursby – Census ( 1 )
Census returns for Thursby, 1841-1891
Author: Great Britain. Census Office

England, Cumberland, Thursby – Church records ( 1 )
Bishop’s transcripts Thursby, 1665-1899
Author: Church of England. Parish Church of Thursby (Cumberland)

England, Cumberland, Thursby – Church records – Indexes ( 4 )
Computer printout of Thursby, Cumb., Eng

Parish register printouts of Thursby, Cumberland, England ; christenings, 1665-1734
Author: Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Genealogical Department

Parish register printouts of Thursby, Cumberland, England ; christenings, 1734-1875
Author: Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Genealogical Department

Parish register printouts of Thursby, Cumberland, England ; marriages, 1734-1870
Author: Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Genealogical Department

Maps

Vision of Britain historical maps

Administration

  • County: Cumberland
  • Civil Registration District: Wigton
  • Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Carlisle (Episcopal Consistory)
  • Diocese: Carlisle
  • Rural Deanery: Carlisle
  • Poor Law Union: Wigton
  • Hundred: Cumberland Ward
  • Province: York

Related Parishes