Thornthwaite is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Cumberland, created in 1717 from Crosthwaite Ancient Parish.
Alternative names: Thornthwaite cum Braithwaite
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1775
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1776
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
THORNTHWAITE, a township and a chapelry in Crossthwaite parish, Cumberland. The township lies 1½ mile NNW of Braithwaite r. station, and 3 NW by W of Keswick. Real property, £1,124; of which £20 are in mines. Pop. in 1851, 275; in 1861, 153. Houses, 35. The chapelry was constituted in 1841. Post town, Keswick, under Windermere. Pop., 530. Houses, 109. The property is subdivided. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Carlisle. Value, £140. Patrons, the Vicar of Crossthwaite and the Incumbent of St. John, Keswick. The church is good.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
FamilySearch - Free
Birth Marriage and Death Records
Migration and Naturalisation Records
Probate and Court Records
Civil Registration District: Cockermouth
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Carlisle (Episcopal Consistory)
Rural Deanery: Allerdale
Poor Law Union: Cockermouth
Hundred: Allerdale above Derwent Ward