Stapleton is an Ancient Parish in the county of Cumberland.

Other places in the parish include: Bellbank, Solport, Trough, and Belbank.

Alternative names:

Parish church: St. Mary

Parish registers begin:

  • Parish registers: 1725
  • Bishop’s Transcripts: 1665

Nonconformists include: Society of Friends/Quaker and United Presbyterian Church of Scotland.

Table of Contents

Adjacent Parishes

Parish History


The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

STAPLETON, a township and a parish in Longtown district, Cumberland. The township lies 6 miles SE of Penton r. station, and 9 ENE of Longtown. Acres, 4,495. Real property, £2,720. Pop., 462. Houses, 89.

The parish contains also Solport, Trough, and Bellbank townships; and comprises 11,335 acres. Post town, Longtown, under Carlisle. Pop. in 1851, 1,119; in 1861, 984. Houses, 183. The property is much sub-divided.

The living is a rectory in the diocese of Carlisle. Value, £98. Patrons, the Earl of Carlisle and Sir F. U. Graham, Bart. The church was rebuilt in 1830.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848

STAPLETON (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Longtown, Eskdale ward, E. division of Cumberland; containing, with the townships of Bellbank, Solport, and Trough, 1170 inhabitants, of whom 550 are in Stapleton township, 8 miles (N.) from Brampton.

The parish is situated on the river Leven or Line, over which is a neat bridge; and comprises about 13,930 acres, whereof about 50 or 60 are woodland, and the remainder arable and pasture, in nearly equal portions. The soil is generally cold, lying on a retentive clay; the surface is hilly. On the north bank of the river are the remains of Shank Castle; and in the vicinity coal has been found, of which a mine is in operation.

An act for dividing and inclosing Wakey-hill common here, was passed in 1842.

The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king’s books at £1. 8. 11½.; net income, £98; patron, the Earl of Carlisle. The church was rebuilt in 1829.

Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848

Parish Records

FamilySearch Catalog

Graham monument inscription project for the churchyards of Kirklinton, Kirkandrews on Esk, Rockcliffe, Stapleton, Scaleby and Arthuret in Cumberland County, England Author: Rasmussen, Delia Graham

Kirklinton, Stapleton, and Hethersgill : memorial inscriptions (with related newspaper items) Author: Cumbria Family History Society

Memorials of Stapleton Author: Gilchrist, George; McCracken, Alexander

Census returns for Stapleton, 1841-1891

Bishop’s transcripts for Stapleton, 1665-1889

Parish registers for Stapleton, 1725-1961

Computer printout of Stapleton, Cumb., Eng

Parish register printouts of Stapleton, Cumberland, England ; christenings, 1813-1875

Parish register printouts of Stapleton, Cumberland, England ; marriages, 1813-1865

The Durham admission register, 1869-1910 Author: Stapleton School (Cumberland)


Explore georeferenced maps – Map images – National Library of Scotland


  • County: Cumberland
  • Civil Registration District: Longtown
  • Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Carlisle (Episcopal Consistory)
  • Diocese: Carlisle
  • Rural Deanery: Carlisle
  • Poor Law Union: Longtown
  • Hundred: Eskdale Ward
  • Province: York

Related Parishes