Skelton is an Ancient Parish in the county of Cumberland.
Other places in the parish include: Lamonby and Unthank.
In 1934 the parish absorbed the former civil parishes of Hutton-in-the-Forest; and Middlesceugh and Braithwaite; plus part of Dalston.
Parish church: St. Mary
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1580
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1662
Table of Contents
- Adjacent Parishes
- Parish History
- Parish Records
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
SKELTON, a township and a parish in Penrith district, Cumberland. The township lies 3½ miles NNW of Blencow r. station, and 6½ NW of Penrith; and has a post-office under Penrith. Real property, £1,927. Pop., 282. Houses, 64.
The parish contains also two other townships, and comprises 6,326 acres. Pop., 719. Houses, 152. The manor belongs to Sir H. R. Vane. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Carlisle. Value, £294. Patron, Corpus Christi College, Oxford. The church was restored in 1794. There are an endowed school with £32 a year, and charities £7.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848
SKELTON (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Penrith, Leath ward, E. division of Cumberland; containing, with the townships of Lamonby and Unthank, 788 inhabitants, of whom 314 are in Skelton township, 6¾ miles (N. W. by W.) from Penrith. Freestone and limestone are obtained here.
The living is a rectory, valued in the king’s books at £43. 3. 6½.; net income, £294; patrons, the President and Fellows of Corpus Christi College, Oxford. The tithes of Skelton township have been commuted for £110, and the glebe consists of 33 acres. The church is an ancient structure, thoroughly repaired in 1794: it formerly contained a richly-endowed chantry. A free school, erected in 1750 by Isaac Milner, was endowed in 1817 by the Rev. Joseph Nelson with £1000, now producing upwards of £32 a year.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848
- County: Cumberland
- Civil Registration District: Penrith
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Carlisle (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Carlisle
- Rural Deanery: Allerdale
- Poor Law Union: Penrith
- Hundred: Leath Ward
- Province: York