Setmurthy is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Cumberland, created in 1748 from a chapelry in Brigham Ancient Parish.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1759
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1813
Nonconformists include: Society of Friends/Quaker
Table of Contents
- Adjacent Parishes
- Parish History
- Parish Records
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
SETMURTHY, a township-chapelry in Brigham parish, Cumberland; near Cockermouth town and r. station. Post-town, Cockermouth. Acres, 2, 579. Real property, £2, 418. Pop., 166. Houses, 36. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Carlisle. Value, £48. Patrons, the Inhabitants. The church was built in 1794; and there is an endowed school.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848
SETMURTHY, a chapelry, in the parish of Brigham, union of Cockermouth, Allerdale ward above Derwent, W. division of Cumberland, 4 miles (E. N. E.) from Cockermouth; containing 181 inhabitants.
The chapelry comprises 2579a. 24p., of which about 1690 acres are pasture, 763 arable, and 124 woodland. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £54; patrons, the Inhabitants. A rent-charge of £16 has been awarded as a commutation for the impropriate tithes. The chapel, a plain neat edifice, was built by the landed proprietors in 1794; and a school was erected in the following year, for the endowment of which about 60 acres of land were allotted at the inclosure, in 1812.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848
- County: Cumberland
- Civil Registration District: Cockermouth
- Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Richmond Western Deaneries – Copeland
- Diocese: Carlisle
- Rural Deanery: Copeland
- Poor Law Union: Cockermouth
- Hundred: Allerdale above Derwent Ward
- Province: York