Sebergham is an Ancient Parish in the county of Cumberland.
Other places in the parish include: High Sebergham and Low Sebergham.
Parish church: Virgin Mary
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1694
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1667
Table of Contents
- Adjacent Parishes
- Parish History
- Parish Records
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
SEBERGHAM, a parish, with a village and two townships, in Wigton district, Cumberland; on the river Caldew, 2 miles N N E of Hesket-Newmarket, and 5¾ S by E of Curthwaite r. station. It has a post-office under Carlisle. Acres, 5, 890. Real property, £5, 874; of which £60 are in mines. Pop. in 1851, 855; in 1861, 745. Houses, 152. The property is much subdivided.
The manor was given by King John to the hermit Was-tell; and given by the hermit to Carlisle priory. Coal and limestone are worked; and there is a mineral spring.
The living is a rectory in the diocese of Carlisle. Value, £300. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Carlisle. The church is an old building, with a modern tower; and was repaired in 1785. There are a Wesleyan chapel and two parochial schools. Relph, the poet, was a native.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848
SEBERGHAM (Virgin Mary), a parish, in the union of Wigton, ward, and E. division of the county, of Cumberland; containing 853 inhabitants, of whom 495 are in the division of High bound, and 358 in that of Low bound, the former 8¾ miles, and the latter 6¼ miles, (S. E. by E.) from Wigton.
The parish is situated on the river Caldew, of which the south branch becomes subterraneous at Haltcliffe bridge, disappears under the high land for nearly three miles, and re-issues at Hives-Hill mill. Near the church the river is crossed by a bridge erected in 1689, by Alexander Denton, one of the justices of the court of common pleas; and about a mile below is another bridge of one arch, built in 1772, near the site of a structure destroyed by a great flood the year before.
A considerable quantity of limestone is quarried, and burnt into lime; there are extensive mines of coal, and a powerful mineral spring.
The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £139; patrons and appropriators, the Dean and Chapter of Carlisle. The church, a very neat structure, occupying the site of an ancient hermitage, was repaired in 1774, and in 1785.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848
- County: Cumberland
- Civil Registration District: Wigton
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Carlisle (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Carlisle
- Rural Deanery: Allerdale
- Poor Law Union: Wigton
- Hundred: Cumberland Ward
- Province: York