Over Denton is an Ancient Parish in the county of Cumberland.
Alternative names: Over Denton, Upper Denton
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1813
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1813
- Nether Denton
- Lanercost with Kirkcambeck
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
DENTON (Upper), a parish in Brampton district, Cumberland; on the Roman wall, the river Irthing, and the Newcastle and Carlisle railway, at the boundary with Northumberland, near Rosehall r. station, and 6 miles NE by E of Brampton. Post town, Gilsland, under Carlisle. Acres, 860. Real property, £1, 478. Pop., 100. Houses, 22. The property is divided among a few. The living is a vicarage, united with Gilsland, in the diocese of Carlisle. Value, £123. Patron, G. G. Mounsey, Esq. The church is small, very old, and probably includes some Saxon work; and the churchyard contains the grave of Meg Tasdale, the "Meg Merrilies" of Sir Walter Scott.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
FamilySearch - Free
Birth Marriage and Death Records
Migration and Naturalisation Records
Probate and Court Records
Civil Registration District: Brampton
Probate Court: Pre-1777 - Court of the Bishop of Durham (Episcopal Consistory), Post-1776 - Court of the Bishop of Carlisle (Episcopal Consistory)
Rural Deanery: Carlisle
Poor Law Union: Brampton
Hundred: Eskdale Ward