Newton Arlosh is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Cumberland, created in 1849 from a chapelry in Holme Cultram Ancient Parish.
Other places in the parish include: Abbeytown and Holm East Waver.
Alternative names: Longnewton
Parish church: St. John the Baptist
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1850
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1850
Table of Contents
- Adjacent Parishes
- Parish History
- Parish Records
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
NEWTON-ARLOSH, a village and a chapelry in Holme-Cultram parish, Cumberland. The village stands near Morecambe bay, Abbey r. station, and Abbeytown villages; was once a market-town; and has remains of a fortified church, built about 1303. The chapelry is conterminate with Holme-East-Waver township. Post-town, Abbeytown, under Carlisle. Real property, £4, 699. Pop., 526. Houses, 98. The living is a p.curacy in the diocese of Carlisle. Value, £117. Patron, the Vicar of Holme-Cultram.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848
NEWTON-ARLOSH, a hamlet, in the parish of Holme-Cultram, union of Wigton, Allerdale ward below Derwent, W. division of Cumberland, 6¾ miles (N. W.) from Wigton. In consequence of the destruction of Skinburness by an irruption of the sea, in 1404, the abbot of Holme-Cultram was licensed to build a small church at this place, dedicated to St. John the Baptist, and to hold here the market and fair (now disused) which had previously been granted to him at Skinburness. The church, which has long been desecrated, was constructed so as to serve the purpose of a fortress, and its thick rugged walls still remain in the cemetery, which is used by the parishioners.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848
- County: Cumberland
- Civil Registration District: Wigton
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Carlisle (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Carlisle
- Rural Deanery: Allerdale
- Poor Law Union: Wigton
- Hundred: Allerdale below Derwent Ward
- Province: York