Newlands is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Cumberland, created in 1748 from Crosthwaite Ancient Parish.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1868
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1780
Nonconformists include: Wesleyan Methodist
Table of Contents
- Adjacent Parishes
- Parish History
- Parish Records
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
NEWLANDS, a hamlet and a chapelry in Crosthwaite parish, Cumberland. The hamlet lies on the rivulet of the vale of Newlands, 3½ miles S by W of Braithwaite r.station, and 5½ S W of Keswick. The chapelry includes the hamlet and the main part of the vale. Post-town, Keswick, under Windermere. Real property, £1, 893; of which £850 are in mines. Pop., 211. Houses, 36. The vale of Newlands commences at the E side of Hindscarth mountain; extends 5½ miles northward, parallel to the W side of Derwent-water, at the average distance fromit of 1¾ mile; is flanked, on the W side, by Hindscarth, Goldscope, and Causey-Pike, on the E side, by High Crag, Maiden-Moor, and Cat-Bells; is traversed, fromhead to foot, by a stream flowing to the head of Bassen-thwaite-water; has a rich rural character, finely pastoraland well-wooded; and presents, from point to point, but especially between Swinside and Foe Park, very beautiful close views. Copper mines were discovered here in the times of Elizabeth; yielded then so much silver and gold as entitled them to pass from the owner of theground, the Earl of Northumberland, to the Crown; suffered desolation, by destruction of the smelting-houses and the works in the civil wars of Charles I.; and, since that time, have been worked on a much smaller scale. Lead ore also has been worked, and slate has been quarried. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Carlisle. Value, £90. Patron, the Vicar of Crosthwaite.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848
NEWLANDS, a chapelry, in the parish of Crosthwaite, union of Cockermouth, Allerdale ward above Derwent, W. division of Cumberland, 5 miles (S. W. by W.) from Keswick; containing 133 inhabitants. This place was formerly celebrated for its valuable mines of copper, which, from the great proportion of gold and silver they contained, were claimed as royal property in the reign of Elizabeth, who instituted against the Earl of Northumberland, on whose lordship they were discovered, a suit at law, which was decided in favour of the crown. The mines were destroyed, and most of the workmen killed, during the parliamentary war; and the ruins of smelting-houses and other buildings connected with the ancient works may still be traced on the banks of the river Bure. Immense quantities of lead-ore have also been raised in the neighbourhood, though the mines are at present comparatively unproductive; a quarry of fine slate for roofing has been opened, and at Stairs is a mill for carding wool. The village of Little Town is seated under a mountainous elevation, which from November till February precludes it from the rays of the sun. A fair for sheep is held on the first Friday in September. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £80; patron, the Vicar of Crosthwaite. The chapel is situated near the village. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848
- County: Cumberland
- Civil Registration District: Cockermouth
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Carlisle (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Carlisle
- Rural Deanery: Allerdale
- Poor Law Union: Cockermouth
- Hundred: Allerdale above Derwent Ward
- Province: York