Nenthead is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Cumberland, created in 1846 from Alston with Garrigill Ancient Parish.
Parish church: St. John
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1845
- Bishop’s Transcripts: None
Nonconformists include: Primitive Methodist, Society of Friends/Quaker, and Wesleyan Methodist.
Table of Contents
- Adjacent Parishes
- Parish History
- Parish Records
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
NENTHEAD, a village and a chapelry in Alston parish, Cumberland. The village stands on the river Nent, about a mile below its source, 1½ mile W of the meeting point of Cumberland, Durham, and Northumberland, and 4 SE of Alston r. station; is a considerable place; and has a post-office under Carlisle, and a market house, surmounted by a turret. The chapelry extends to the county boundary; consists chiefly of moor and mountain; and contains lead-mines and smelting houses, belonging to the London Lead company. Pop. in 1851, 1, 964; in 1861, 2,039. Houses, 382. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Durham. Value, £140. Patron, the Vicar of Alston. The church is modern. There are chapels for Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists, and national schools.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848
NENT-HEAD, a hamlet, in the parish and union of Alston, Leath ward, E. division of Cumberland, 4¼ miles (E. S. E.) from Alston. It takes its name from its situation near the source of the river Nent, and is principally inhabited by persons employed in the leadworks and smelting-houses of the London Lead Company, whose mines are in the immediate neighbourhood. A market is held on Thursday, chiefly for provisions; and commodious shambles have been erected, with a market-house surmounted by a neat turret. Here is a church dedicated to St. John, with a chapelry district attached: the living is in the gift of the Vicar. The Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists have places of worship.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848
- County: Cumberland
- Civil Registration District: Alston
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Carlisle (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Durham
- Rural Deanery: Hexham
- Poor Law Union: Alston with Garrigill
- Hundred: Leath Ward
- Province: York