Mungrisdale is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Cumberland, created in 1740 from a chapelry in Greystoke Ancient Parish.
Parish registers begin: 1742
Table of Contents
- Adjacent Parishes
- Parish History
- Parish Records
Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales Circa 1870
MUNGRISDALE, a township-chapelry in Greystoke parish, Cumberland; on the Glenderamakin river, between Bowscale fell and Eycoll hill, 2 ½ miles NW by N of Troutbeck r. station, and 5 ½ S of Hesket Newmarket. Post-town, Penrith. Acres, 6,729. Real property, £1,728. Pop., 202. Houses, 44. The property is much subdivided. The manor belongs to H. Howard, Esq. Part of the surface is mountain vale, and much is moor and high upland. Some of the inhabitants are employed in slate quarries. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Carlisle. Value, £118. Patron, the Rector of Greystoke. The church is old but good, and has a bell gable.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848
MUNGRISDALE, a chapelry, in the parish of Greystock, union of Penrith, Leath ward, E. division of Cumberland, 8½ miles (N. E. by E.) from Keswick; containing 222 inhabitants. There are quarries of blue slate and flagstone within the chapelry. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £57; patron, the Rector of Greystock. The chapel was rebuilt in 1754. John Slee, a distinguished mathematician, who died in 1828, was born here.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848
- County: Cumberland
- Civil Registration District: Penrith
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Carlisle (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Carlisle
- Rural Deanery: Allerdale
- Poor Law Union: Penrith
- Hundred: Leath Ward
- Province: York