Muncaster is an Ancient Parish in the county of Cumberland.
Other places in the parish include: Barnscar, Birkby, and Ravenglass.
Parish registers begin: 1583
Nonconformists include: Baptist and Wesleyan Methodist.
Parishes adjacent to Muncaster
Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales Circa 1870
MUNCASTER, a township, a parish, and a sub-district, in Bootle district, Cumberland. The township lies on the river Esk, 1 ½ mile E of Ravenglass r. station; was anciently called Meol-ceastre; includes the site of a Roman station; and gives the title of Baron to the family of Pennington. The parish contains also the township of Birkby and the village of Ravenglass; the latter of which has a post-office under Whitehaven. Acres, 5,166; of which 115 are water. Real property, £3,220; of which £30 are in fisheries. Pop., 580. Houses, 106. The property is much subdivided. The manor belongs to Lord Muncaster. Muncaster Castle is Lord M.'s seat; takes its name from an ancient castle, the original seat of the Penningtons, now reduced to a state of ruin; is a handsome edifice, in the castellated style; contains a glass cup, called the Luck of Muncaster, given by Henry VI. to Sir John Pennington after the battle of Hexham; and stands amid beautiful grounds, with a charming view. Muncaster fell is a range of mountain, extending north-eastward, between the rivers Esk and Mite. Barnscar is a quondam town on Birkby fell, with traces of streets and houses; but so obscure in record as to be a puzzle to antiquaries. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Carlisle. Value, £97. Patron, Lord Muncaster. The church is ancient and tolerable; and contains two piscinas, four brasses, and numerous monumental tablets of the Penningtons. There are an endowed school with £12 a-year, and charities £5.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
- County: Cumberland
- Civil Registration District: Bootle
- Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Richmond Western Deaneries - Copeland
- Diocese: Carlisle
- Rural Deanery: Copeland
- Poor Law Union: Bootle
- Hundred: Allerdale above Derwent Ward
- Province: York