Millom is an Ancient Parish in the county of Cumberland.

Other places in the parish include: Lower Millom, Stainton Farm, Stainton, Millom Below, Millom Above, Upper Millom, Chapel Sucken, Birker and Authwaite, Birker and Austhwaite, Birker, and Austhwaite.

Alternative names:

Parish church: Holy Trinity

Parish registers begin:

  • Parish registers: 1590
  • Bishop’s Transcripts: 1689

Nonconformists include: Baptist

Table of Contents

Adjacent Parishes

Parish History

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

MILLOM, a village and a parish in Bootle district, Cumberland. The village stands on the W side of the Duddon estuary, near the Whitehaven and Furness railway, 2¾ miles from the sea, and 6 SSW of Broughton-in-Furness; is a sub-port to Whitehaven; was formerly a market-town; and has a station on the railway. The parish contains the townships of Millom-Above, MillomBelow, Chapel-Sucken, and Birker and Austhwaite, and the chapelries of Thwaites and Ulpha. Post-town, Holborn-Hill, under Ulverstone. Acres, 36,418; of which 5,692 are water. Real property of Millom-Above, £2,578; of Millom-Below, £2,875; of the entire parish, £12,626. Pop. of Millom-Above, 508; of Millom-Below, 392; of the entire parish, 2,015. Houses of Millom-Above, 104; of Millom-Below, 79; of the entire parish, 390. The property is much subdivided. The manor belonged formerly to the Boyvills and the Huddlestones, and belongs now to the Earl of Lonsdale. Millom Castle was built in 1335, by Sir John Huddlestones; became a farm-house; and is now represented only by a tower. Part of the land is hilly, and much is picturesque. Slate, limestone, iron ore, and copper ore exist, but have not been much worked. There are several saline springs. Some fishing is carried on. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Carlisle. Valne, £200. Patron, the Duchy of Lancaster. The church is ancient, in tolerable condition, with a bell-gable; has been much disfigured by modern alterations; and contains a beautiful ancient alabaster tomb, and several brasses and monuments to the Huddlestones and others. The churchyard contains a well-preserved ancient cross. The p. curacies of Thwaites and Ulpha are separate benefices. There are a parochial school, and charities £41.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848

MILLOM (Holy Trinity), a parish, in the union of Bootle, Allerdale ward above Derwent, W. division of Cumberland; comprising the chapelries of Thwaites and Ulpha, and the townships of Birker with Austhwaite, Chapel-Sucken, and the Farm of Stainton; and containing 1979 inhabitants, of whom 411 are in the township of Lower Millom, and 511 in that of Upper Millom, 12 miles (S. E. by S.) from Ravenglass. The parish is bounded on the west and south by the Irish Sea, and on the east by the river Duddon, which forms a bay, famous for cockles and muscles, and abounding with salmon and sand-eels. The mineral productions are limestone, slate, and iron and copper ore; the limestone is found in quantities sufficient to be worked with advantage. The Whitehaven and Furness railway runs through the parish, and crosses the Duddon sands by an embankment and timber viaduct. A market and a fair were granted in the reign of Henry III., but they have been long disused. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king’s books at £8. 5. 8., and in the patronage of the Crown, in right of the duchy of Lancaster; net income, £189; impropriator, the Earl of Lonsdale. The church, an ancient structure, contains a tablet to the memory of the Huddlestone family. At Thwaites and Ulpha are separate incumbencies. Here are the remains of Millom Castle, the ancient seat of the lords of Millom. In Upper Millom are several springs, called Holy wells, impregnated with purgative salt.

Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848

Parish Records

FamilySearch Catalog

Cumberland iron : the story of Hodbarrow mine, 1855-1968 Author: Harris, Alan

Holy Trinity Church Millom gravestone inscriptions Author: Knowles, John; Millom Folk Museum Society

St. George the Martyr Church Millom, gravestone inscriptions Author: Knowles, John

Census returns for Millom, 1841-1891

The book of the parish church of Holy Trinity, Millom, Cumberland Author: Ellwood, Robert Dunn

A mountain chapelry in Cumbria : incorporating “Dale Larnin” Author: Simpson, Wignall

Bishop’s transcripts for Holy Trinity Church Millom, 1690-1881 Author: Church of England. Holy Trinity Church (Millom, Cumberland)

Bishop’s transcripts for Thwaites., 1725-1873 Author: Church of England. Chapelry of Thwaites (Cumberland)

Bishop’s transcripts Ulpha, 1689-1857 Author: Church of England. Chapelry of Ulpha (Cumberland)

Church records, 1869-1902 Author: Primitive Methodist Chapel (Holborn Hill, Cumberland)

Church records, 1870-1891 Author: Bible Christian Church. Millom and Dalton Circuit (Lancashire)

Church records, 1873-1891 Author: Wesleyan Methodist Chapel (Queen Street, Millom, Cumberland)

Parish registers for Haverigg, 1891-1911 Author: Church of England. Chapelry of Haverigg (Cumberland)

Parish registers for Holy Trinity Church, Millom, 1590-1915 Author: Church of England. Holy Trinity Church (Millom, Cumberland)

Parish registers for St. George’s Church, Millom, 1877-1909 Author: Church of England. St. George’s Church (Millom)

Parish registers for Thwaites, 1724-1911 Author: Church of England. Chapelry of Thwaites (Cumberland)

Parish registers for Ulpha, 1703-1906 Author: Church of England. Chapelry of Ulpha (Cumberland)

The registers of Millom, Cumberland, 1591-1812 Author: Church of England. Parish Church of Millom; Haswell, John Francis

A transcript of the registers of the chapelry of Thwaites in the parish of Millom, 1724-1837 Author: Church of England. Chapelry of Thwaites (Cumberland); Dunn, G. S.

Computer printout of Thwaites, Cumberland, England

Computer printout of Ulpha, Cumberland, England

Parish printout of Millom (Holy Trinity), Cumberland, England

Administration

  • County: Cumberland
  • Civil Registration District: Bootle
  • Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Richmond Western Deaneries – Copeland
  • Diocese: Carlisle
  • Rural Deanery: Copeland
  • Poor Law Union: Bootle
  • Hundred: Allerdale above Derwent Ward
  • Province: York

Related Parishes