Melmerby is an Ancient Parish in the county of Cumberland.
Parish church: St. John the Baptist
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1701
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1660
Nonconformists include: Wesleyan Methodist
Table of Contents
- Adjacent Parishes
- Parish History
- Parish Records
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
MELMERBY, a village and a parish in Penrith district, Cumberland. The village stands under the Crossfell range of mountains, 3½ miles NE of Langwath by, and 8½ NE of Penrith r. station; was formerly a markettown; and has a post-office under Penrith, and fairs on 22 April and 28 Sept. The parish comprises 4,496 acres. Real property, £2,499. Pop., 307. Houses, 58. The property is much subdivided. The manor and much of the land belong to the Rev. John Hall. Melmerby Hall is an ancient and chief residence. About 2,310 acres an unenclosed bill, or common. Melmerby fell has an altitude of 2,330 feet; and is crossed, near the summit, by the Maiden way. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Carlisle. Value, £200. Patron, the Rev. John Hall. The church is a red freestone edifice, with a tower; was restored in 1 849; and contains several ancient monunents. There is an endowed school.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848
MELMERBY (St. John the Baptist), a parish, in the union of Penrith, Leath ward, E. division of Cumberland, 8½ miles (N. E. by E.) from Penrith; containing 329 inhabitants. This place was anciently of greater importance, and had a weekly market, and an annual fair; the former has been long discontinued, but a pleasure-fair is still held on Old Midsummer-day. The parish comprises by measurement 1651 acres of land in cultivation, exclusively of about 3000 of fell and common; there are extensive beds of limestone, some quarries of freestone, and a mine of lead. On the eastern side of the parish is Hartside Fell, a lofty mountain rising 1312 feet above the village, and over which passes a new road from Alston to Penrith. The living is a rectory, valued in the king’s books at £12. 11. 5½., and in the gift of John E. Pattenson, Esq.: the tithes have been commuted for £118, and the glebe comprises 35½ acres. The church is built of red freestone, and contains several ancient monumental stones. In the parish are two springs, one sulphureous, and the other chalybeate. The Roman road called the Maiden-way is visible here; its width is 21 feet.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848
The Memorial inscriptions of melmerby, Ousby, kirkland, Skirwith & Culgaith, also, addenda to Croglin, Cumrew, Edenhall, Gamblesby, Kirkoswald, & Renwick, volume 4 Author: Godwin, Jeremy; Clarke, Pat; Smith, Alan
Addingham & Melmerby : baptisms, marriages & burials 1813-1839 Author: Bell, George; Yellowley, Carol; Church of England. Parish Church of Addingham (Cumberland); Church of England. Parish Church of Melmerby (Cumberland)
- County: Cumberland
- Civil Registration District: Penrith
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Carlisle (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Carlisle
- Rural Deanery: Allerdale
- Poor Law Union: Penrith
- Hundred: Leath Ward
- Province: York