Lorton is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Cumberland, created in 1744 from a chapelry in Brigham Ancient Parish.
Other places in the parish include: Brachenthwaite and Brakenthwaite.
Parish church: St. Cuthbert
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1538
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1616
Nonconformists include: Wesleyan Methodist
Table of Contents
- Adjacent Parishes
- Parish History
- Parish Records
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
LORTON, a village, a township, and a parish in Cockermouth district, Cumberland. The village stands on the Cocker river, in Lorton vale, 4 miles SSE of Cockermouth r. station; and has a post office under Cockermouth.
The township comprises 5,264 acres. Real property, £3,288. Pop., 456. Houses, 90. The parish contains also the townships of Brackeuthwaite and Wythop; and comprises 10,755 acres. Real property, £5,728. Pop., 658. Houses, 131. The property is much subdivided. Lorton Hall, Lorton House, Fairfield, Oakhill, and Kirkfell House are chief residences.
Lorton vale extends from Crummock-water to the N boundary of the parish; is flanked on the W by Low fell and Whin fell,-on the E, by Whiteside, Whinlatter, and Wythop fells; is well-wooded and beautifully picturesque; and contained, till recently, a famous old yewtree, sung as follows by Wordsworth:-
There is a yew-tree, pride of Lorton vale,
Which to this day stands single, in the midst
Of its own darkness, as it stood of yore.
Of vast circumference and gloom profound
This solitary tree ! a living thing,
Produced too slowly ever to decay;
Of form and aspect too magnificent
To be destroyed.
The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Carlisle. Value, £100. Patron, the Earl of Lonsdale. The church was, in 1867, about to be restored and beautified. There is a parochial school.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848
LORTON (St. Cuthbert), a parish, in the union of Cockermouth, Allerdale ward above Derwent, W. division of Cumberland; containing, with the townships of Brackenthwaite and Wythop, 635 inhabitants, of whom 394 are in the township of Lorton, 3¾ miles (S. E. by S.) from Cockermouth. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £76; patron, the Earl of Lonsdale. At Wythop is a second incumbency.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848
- County: Cumberland
- Civil Registration District: Cockermouth
- Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Richmond Western Deaneries – Copeland
- Diocese: Carlisle
- Rural Deanery: Copeland
- Poor Law Union: Cockermouth
- Hundred: Allerdale above Derwent Ward
- Province: York