Langwathby is an Ancient Parish in the county of Cumberland.
Alternative names: Longwathby
Parish church: St. Peter
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1576
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1587
Table of Contents
- Adjacent Parishes
- Parish History
- Parish Records
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
LANGWATHBY, a parish in Penrith district, Cumberland; on the river Eden, near the boundary with Westmoreland, 4½ miles NE of Penrith r. station. It has a post-office under Penrith. Acres, 1,987. Real property, £2,333. Pop., 346. Houses, 62. The property is much subdivided. The manor belongs to the Duke of Devonshire. A three-arched bridge, built in 1686, here crosses the Eden. The living is a p. curacy, annexed to the vicarage of Edenhall, in the diocese of Carlisle. The church was rebuilt in 1718, and repaired in 1835.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848
LONGWATHBY (St. Peter), a parish, in the union of Penrith, Leath ward, E. division of Cumberland, 4¾ miles (N. E. by E.) from Penrith; containing 273 inhabitants. The parish is separated from that of Edenhall, by the river Eden, over which is a bridge of three lofty arches, built in 1686. It comprises 1987a. 1r. 13p., whereof 844 acres are meadow and pasture, 74 old grassland, 490 arable, 24 wood, and the remainder common and waste. The village is situated on the road from Penrith to Newcastle, viâ Alston-Moor and Hexham. The living is annexed to that of Edenhall; appropriators, the Dean and Chapter of Carlisle. The church was erected by subscription, in 1718, on the site of a more ancient edifice, and was thoroughly repaired in 1835.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848
- County: Cumberland
- Civil Registration District: Penrith
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Carlisle (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Carlisle
- Rural Deanery: Allerdale
- Poor Law Union: Penrith
- Hundred: Leath Ward
- Province: York