Lamplugh is an Ancient Parish in the county of Cumberland.

Other places in the parish include: Kelton, Murton, and Winder.

Parish church: St. Michael

Parish registers begin: 1581

Nonconformists include:

Table of Contents

Adjacent Parishes

Parish History

Lamplugh

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

LAMPLUGH, a township and a parish in Whitehaven district, Cumberland. The township lies on the SE of the Cleator and Egremont railway, on the Marron junction, near Rowrah and Wright-Green stations, 9 miles ENE of Whitehaven; and has a post-office under Cockermouth.

The parish contains also the townships of Kelton, Murton, and Winder; and extends to Lowes-water. Acres, 6,354. Real property, £6,129; of which £710 are in mines. Pop. in 1851, 616; in 1861, 808. Houses, 153.

The Lamplugh estate belonged, in the time of Henry II., and long afterwards, to the Lamplugh family, who made a considerable figure in military achievements; and belongs now to J. L. Lamplugh-Raper, Esq. Lamplugh Hall, the seat of the Lamplughs, was recently replaced by a modern farm-house; but a gateway which led to it, inscribed with the year 1595, still stands. Iron ore is mined; limestone and freestone are quarried; and there is a mineral spring.

The living is a rectory in the diocese of Carlisle. Value, £306. Patron, J. L. Lamplugh-Raper, Esq. The church is ancient, and has a bell-turret. Charities, £12.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848

LAMPLUGH (St. Michael), a parish, in the union of Whitehaven, Allerdale ward above Derwent, W. division of Cumberland, 9 miles (E. N. E.) from the town of Whitehaven; containing, with the townships of Kelton, Murton, and Winder, 645 inhabitants, of whom 190 are in the township of Lamplugh.

The parish is bounded on the east by Loweswater and Crummockwater, and comprises 4876a. 2r. 39p. of inclosed land, and 1475 acres of common. Two branches of the river Marron have their sources here. There are extensive quarries of limestone, and some of freestone.

The living is a rectory, valued in the king’s books at £10. 4. 7., and in the gift of John Lamplugh L. Raper, Esq.: the tithes have been commuted for £300, and the glebe comprises 2 acres. Near the ancient Hall is a mineral spring, the water of which is powerfully astringent.

Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848

Kelton

A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848

KELTON, a township, in the parish of Lamplugh, union of Whitehaven, Allerdale ward above Derwent, W. division of Cumberland, 8 miles (E.) from Whitehaven; containing 192 inhabitants. The tithes were commuted for land in 1819.

Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848

Murton

Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales Circa 1870

MURTON, or MOORTOWN, a township in Lamplugh parish, Cumberland; 8 miles ENE of Whitehaven. Real property, £1,380; of which £350 are in mines. Pop., 156. The manor belongs to J. L. Raper, Esq. Hardware manufacture is carried on.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848

MURTON, or Moor-Town, a township, in the parish of Lamplugh, union of Whitehaven, Allerdale ward above Derwent, W. division of Cumberland, 8 miles (E. by N.) from Whitehaven; containing 156 inhabitants. The manufacture of spades, shovels, &c., is carried on; and there are several lime-works.

Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848

Winder

A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848

WINDER, a township, in the parish of Lamplugh, union of Whitehaven, Allerdale ward above Derwent, W. division of Cumberland, 5¼ miles (E. by S.) from Whitehaven; containing 107 inhabitants. The tithes were commuted for land in the year 1819, under an inclosure act.

Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848

Parish Records

FamilySearch

England, Cumberland, Lamplugh – Census ( 1 )
Census returns for Lamplugh, 1841-1891
Author: Great Britain. Census Office

England, Cumberland, Lamplugh – Church records ( 2 )
Bishop’s transcripts for Lamplugh, 1689-1865
Author: Church of England. Parish Church of Lamplugh (Cumberland)

The registers of Lamplugh, 1581-1812
Author: Church of England. Parish Church of Lamplugh (Cumberland); Haswell, John Francis

England, Cumberland, Lamplugh – Church records – Indexes ( 1 )
Computer printout of Lamplugh, Cumberland, England

Administration

  • County: Cumberland
  • Civil Registration District: Whitehaven
  • Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Richmond Western Deaneries – Copeland
  • Diocese: Carlisle
  • Rural Deanery: Copeland
  • Poor Law Union: Whitehaven
  • Hundred: Allerdale above Derwent Ward
  • Province: York

Related Parishes