Kirklinton is an Ancient Parish in the county of Cumberland.
Other places in the parish include: Middle Quarter, West Linton, Westlinton, Kirklington Middle, and Hethersgill.
Alternative names: Kirk Levington, Kirk Linton
Parish church: St. Cuthbert
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1651
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1663
Nonconformists include: Society of Friends/Quaker and Wesleyan Methodist.
Table of Contents
- Adjacent Parishes
- Parish History
- Parish Records
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
KIRK-LINTON, or Kirk-Levington, a parish in Longtown district, Cumberland; on the river Line, 4 miles ESE of Longtown r. station. It contains the townships of West Linton, Middle Quarter, and Hethersgill; and has a post office, of the name of Kirk-Linton, under Carlisle. Acres, 7, 800. Real property, £12, 119. Pop. in 1851, 1,869; in 1861, 1, 749. Houses, 359. The property is much subdivided. The manor belongs to the Earl of Carlisle. Kirk-Linton Hall is the seat of the Dacre family; succeeded a former ancient seat, called Clough Hall; and commands a view to the Solway frith. The parish is a meet for the Carlisle harriers. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Carlisle. Value, £94. Patron, J. Dacre, Esq. The church stands in Middle Quarter, has Norman traces, and is good. There are chapels for Quakers and Wesleyans, and an endowed school.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848
KIRK-LINTON (St. Cuthbert), a parish, in the union of Longtown, Eskdale ward, E. division of Cumberland, 4¾ miles (E. by S.) from Longtown; containing, with the townships of Hethersgill, Middle-Quarter, and West Linton, 1902 inhabitants. This parish, which is bounded on the north by the river Line, comprises 9791a. 26p. The living is a rectory, valued in the king’s books at £1. 1. 0½.; and in the patronage of the family of Dacre, with a net income of £98. The church is a good specimen of the Norman style. Here is a place of worship for the Society of Friends; and at Blackford is a schoolroom, licensed for the performance of divine worship. Near Kirk-Linton Hall are the remains of an ancient fortress. The celebrated watchmaker, George Graham, esteemed the best mechanic of his time, was a native of the parish; he died in 1751, and was interred in Westminster Abbey.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848
- County: Cumberland
- Civil Registration District: Longtown
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Carlisle (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Carlisle
- Rural Deanery: Carlisle
- Poor Law Union: Longtown
- Hundred: Eskdale Ward
- Province: York