Kirkland is an Ancient Parish in the county of Cumberland.

Other places in the parish include: Cross Fell, Kirkland and Blencarn, Skirwith, Bullman’s Cleugh, and Ardale.

Alternative names: Kirkland near Penrith

Parish church: St. Lawrence

Parish registers begin:

  • Parish registers: 1620
  • Bishop’s Transcripts: 1663

Nonconformists include: Wesleyan Methodist

Table of Contents

Adjacent Parishes

Parish History

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

KIRKLAND, a township and a parish in Penrith district, Cumberland. The township lies adjacent to the Maiden way and to the boundary with Westmoreland, under Cross-Fell, 6½ miles NNE of Kirkby-Thore r. station, and 9 ENE of Penrith; and bears the name of Kirkland and Blencarn. Real property, £1, 599. Pop., 167. Houses, 33.

The parish contains also the townships of Skirwith and Culgaith. Post town, Penrith. Acres, 12, 150. Real property, £7, 248. Pop., 804. Houses, 147. The property is much subdivided. Cross Fell, noticed in its own alphabetical place, occupies much of the E. A lead mine is on the side of that mountain, at Bullman’s Cleugh; and coal is worked at Ardale. Three artificial terraces, each about 200 yards long, are on the side of Bank Ridge; and remains of ancient buildings, called the Hanging Walls of Mark Anthony, are on the top.

The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Carlisle. Value, £221. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Carlisle. The church is ancient but good; and has a bell turret. The p. curacies of Skirwith and Culgaith are separate benefices. There are an endowed school with £60 a year, and other charities with £14.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848

KIRKLAND (St. Lawrence), a parish, in the union of Penrith, Leath ward, E. division of Cumberland; containing, with the chapelry of Culgaith and the township of Skirwith, 887 inhabitants, of whom 233 are in the township of Kirkland with Blencarn, 8 miles (E. by N.) from Penrith.

The parish comprises 7693a. 2r. 24p., of which 3052 acres are arable, 4625 pasture, and 16 wood. Its surface is boldly varied, rising into hills of mountainous elevation, and the high pasture lands are principally grazed by sheep; about 1000 acres are improvable common. Coal was wrought at Ardale, in the parish, by the late Sir Michael Le Fleming, and on Cross Fell is a mine of lead called Bullman-Hills Vein, the ore of which contains a considerable proportion of silver; copper-ore is also found, and a smelting-furnace has been erected.

The living is a vicarage, valued in the king’s books at £8. 10.; net income, £221; patrons and appropriators, the Dean and Chapter of Carlisle. The church is an ancient structure. There is a chapel at Culgaith.

Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848

Parish Records

FamilySearch Catalog

The Memorial inscriptions of melmerby, Ousby, kirkland, Skirwith & Culgaith, also, addenda to Croglin, Cumrew, Edenhall, Gamblesby, Kirkoswald, & Renwick, volume 4 Author: Godwin, Jeremy; Clarke, Pat; Smith, Alan

Census returns for Kirkland and Blencarn, 1841-1891

Bishop’s transcripts for Culgaith for Culgaith, 1794-1894 Author: Church of England. Chapelry of Culgaith (Cumberland)

Bishop’s transcripts for Kirkland and Culgaith, 1663-1876 Author: Church of England. Parish Church of Kirkland (near Penrith)(Cumberland); Church of England. Chapelry of Culgaith (Cumberland)

Parish registers for Culgaith, 1758-1935 Author: Church of England. Chapelry of Culgaith (Cumberland)

[Transcript of marriages, 1762-1812, from the bishop’s transcripts for the chapelry of Culgaith] Author: Church of England. Chapelry of Culgaith (Cumberland)

Computer printout of Culgaith, Cumb., Eng

Computer printout of Kirkland near Penrith, Cumb., Eng

Parish register printouts of Kirkland (near Penrith), Cumberland, England ; christenings, 1662-1756, 1793

Parish register printouts of Kirkland (near Penrith), Cumberland, England ; marriages, 1757-1874

Parish register printouts of Kirkland (near Penrith), Cumberland, England, christenings, 1757-1876

Administration

  • County: Cumberland
  • Civil Registration District: Penrith
  • Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Carlisle (Episcopal Consistory)
  • Diocese: Carlisle
  • Rural Deanery: Allerdale
  • Poor Law Union: Penrith
  • Hundred: Leath Ward
  • Province: York

Related Parishes