Kirkandrews on Esk is an Ancient Parish in the county of Cumberland.
Other places in the parish include: Kirkandrews Moat, Moat Quarter, Moat, Middle Quarter, Kirkandrews Nether, Nether Quarter, Kirkandrews Middle, Kirk Andrews Nether Quarter, Kirk Andrews Moat Quarter, Kirk Andrews Middle Quarter, and Easton.
Alternative names: Kirk Andrews upon Esk, Kirkandrews upon Esk
Parish church: St. Andrew
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1665
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1682
Table of Contents
- Adjacent Parishes
- Parish History
- Parish Records
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
KIRK-ANDREWS-UPON-ESK, a parish in Longtown district, Cumberland; averagely on the river Esk, adjacent to the North British railway, near the boundary with Scotland, 2½ miles N of Longtown r. station, but extending nearly 20 miles, contiguously with Scotland, along Kershope burn and the rivers Liddel, Esk, and Sark, to the Solway frith.
It is traversed, over the greater part of its length, by the Carlisle line of the North British railway, and the branch to Gretna; and is crossed, near the Solway frith, from the river Sark at Gretna r. station, by the Caledonian railway.
It consists of the townships of K. A. Middle-Quarter, K. A. Moat-Quarter, and K. A. Nether-Quarter, and the chapelry of NicholForest. Post town, Longtown, under Carlisle. Acres, 17, 246; of which 306 are water. Real property, £15, 084. Pop. in 1851, 1, 798; in 1861, 2, 383. Houses, 320. The increase of pop. arose from temporary labour on the North British railway. The property of the three townships is chiefly in one estate; and that of Nichol-Forest is much subdivided. Part of the surface is moor and bog.
The manor belongs to Sir F. U. Graham, Bart., of Netherby Hall. Solway Moss, in the S, was the scene of a defeat of the Scots in 1542; and Esk-Bridge was the scene of a disaster to the rebels in 1745. An ancient Border fortalice, consisting of a large square three story tower, formerly defended with an iron door, is near the church.
The living is a rectory in the diocese of Carlisle. Value, £854. Patron, Sir F. U. Graham, Bart. The church was rebuilt in 1637. The p. curacy of Nichol-Forest is a separate benefice.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848
KIRK-ANDREWS-upon-Esk (St. Andrew), a parish, in the union of Longtown, Eskdale ward, E. division of Cumberland; comprising the townships of Middle Kirk-Andrews, Nether Kirk-Andrews, Moat, and Nichol-Forest; and containing 1932 inhabitants, of whom 458 are in Middle Kirk-Andrews, 3 miles (N. by E.) from Longtown.
This parish, which is separated from Scotland by the rivers Liddel, Kershope, and Sark, and by the Scots’ dyke, forms a large portion of the English border, and was the scene of almost constant warfare before the union of the two crowns.
On the steep bank of the Liddel is a moated area called Liddel’s Strength, supposed to have been the site of the baronial castle of the ancient lords of Liddel, which was taken by William, King of Scotland, in 1174, and by David Bruce in 1346. In the reign of Henry VIII. a memorable battle, in which the Scots were defeated with great slaughter, took place on Solway Moss, in the parish; and in 1745 a strong party of the rebels were slain by the army under the Duke of Cumberland, near Esk Bridge.
The parish comprises by measurement 11,636 acres, of which 9433 are arable, meadow, and old pasture, 503 woodland, and about 1700 in Solway Moss; the surface is varied, and the lower grounds are watered by the Esk, which separates the parish from Longtown. Over the Esk are two bridges, one of which, at Garristown, is of cast iron; and there are two bridges of stone across the river Sark. Freestone of good quality for building is found in abundance, and about a mile from the church is an extensive quarry.
The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king’s books at £3. 11. 5.; net income, £512; patron, Sir James R. G. Graham, Bart. The church, a picturesque object standing alone on the west bank of the Esk, was erected by Sir Richard Graham, upon the site of a more ancient structure, in 1637, at which period Kirk-Andrews was made a distinct parish, having previously been only a chapelry in that of Arthuret, or Easton. At Nichol-Forest is a separate incumbency.
In the parish are four schools endowed by Lady Widdrington, in 1754, with £5. 13. 4. each. Near the church is one of the old tower fortresses erected for the defence of the border. An extraordinary irruption of Solway Moss took place in 1771, when a large tract of land was inundated, which was afterwards recovered and brought again into cultivation.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848
- County: Cumberland
- Civil Registration District: Longtown
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Carlisle (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Carlisle
- Rural Deanery: Carlisle
- Poor Law Union: Longtown
- Hundred: Eskdale Ward
- Province: York