Kirkandrews on Eden with Beaumont is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Cumberland, created in 1692 from Kirkandrews on Eden Ancinet Parish and Beaumont Ancient Parish.

Other places in the parish include: Beaumont, Hosket Hill, Hoskethill, and Kirksteads.

Alternative names:

  • Kirk-Andrews-upon-Eden
  • Kirkandrews upon Eden
  • Kirkandrews on Eden

Parish church: St. Andrew

Parish registers begin:

Kirkandrews on Eden with Beaumont

  • Parish registers: 1677
  • Bishop’s Transcripts: 1685

Beaumont

  • Parish registers: 1677
  • Bishop’s Transcripts: 1665

Nonconformists include: Wesleyan Methodist

Table of Contents

Adjacent Parishes

Parish History

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

KIRK-ANDREWS-UPON-EDEN, a village and a parish in Carlisle district, Cumberland. The village stands on the Roman wall and on the Carlisle and Silloth railway, 3¼ miles W NW of Carlisle; and has a station on the railway. The churchyard here was probably the site of a mile castle on the Roman wall; and a garden in the village contains a Roman altar, brought from Kirksteads, about a mile S. The vallum of the wall is slightly traceable in the neighbourhood.

The parish contains also the hamlet of Hosket-Hill; and its post-town is Carlisle. Acres, 1, 050. Real property, £1, 542. Pop., 120. Houses, 23. The manor belongs to the Earl of Lonsdale. The living is a rectory, united with the rectory of Beaumont, in the diocese of Carlisle. Value, £249. Patron, the Earl of Lonsdale. The churchyard is still in use; but the church has disappeared; and the church of Beaumont serves for the united parishes.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848

KIRK-ANDREWS-upon-Eden (St. Andrew), a parish, in the union of Carlisle, Cumberland ward, E. division of the county of Cumberland, 3¼ miles (W. N. W.) from Carlisle; containing 142 inhabitants.

This parish, which forms part of the barony of Burg, comprises 898 acres by admeasurement; about 20 acres are woodland, and nearly 40 open common. Its soil is partly of a sandy nature, and partly a rich black loam; the surface is generally flat, and is intersected by the river Eden and the Carlisle canal. The living is a discharged rectory, with which that of Beaumont was united in 1692; net income, £249; patron, the Earl of Lonsdale.

The church was long ago demolished, and the ruins were used in the erection of a glebe-house; the inhabitants attend divine service at Beaumont, but bury in the churchyard here. There was a still more ancient church at Kirksteads, about a mile from the site of this, but at what period it was destroyed is unknown; the cemetery, in which stones curiously carved and human bones have been found, may yet be traced. On the common is a triple intrenchment, near which several urns were discovered about sixty years ago. The Roman wall passed through the parish.

Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848

Parish Records

FamilySearch Catalog

Burgh by Sands monumental inscriptions Author: Cumbria Family History Society

Census returns for Kirk-Andrews-upon-Eden, 1841-1891

Bishop’s transcripts for Kirk-Andrews-upon-Eden, 1686, 1699-1812

Computer printout of Kirk Andrews upon Eden, Cumb., Eng

Computer printout of Kirk Andrews upon Eden, Cumberland, England, christenings, 1685-1812

Administration

  • County: Cumberland
  • Civil Registration District: Carlisle
  • Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Carlisle (Episcopal Consistory)
  • Diocese: Carlisle
  • Rural Deanery: Carlisle
  • Poor Law Union: Carlisle
  • Hundred: Cumberland Ward
  • Province: York

Related Parishes