Ivegill is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Cumberland, created in 1771 from chapelry in Dalston Ancient Parish.
Alternative names: Highead, Highhead
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1709
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1771
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
IVEGILL, or HIGHHEAD, a township and a chapelry in Dalston parish, Cumberland; in Inglewood forest, 3¼ miles SW of Southwaite r. station, and 9 S by E of Carlisle. Post town, Dalston, under Carlisle. Pop. of the township, £126; of the chapelry, £526. Highhead Castle here belonged to the Harclas, the Dacres, the L’Englises, and others; and has left some remains. The living is a vicarage in the dio. of Carlisle. Value, £300. Patron, the Vicar of Dalston. The church was built in 1867.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
FamilySearch Catalog - Free
Poorhouses & Poor Law
- County: Cumberland
- Civil Registration District: Carlisle
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Carlisle (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Carlisle
- Rural Deanery: Wigton
- Poor Law Union: Carlisle
- Hundred: Cumberland Ward
- Province: York