Isel is an Ancient Parish in the county of Cumberland.
Other places in the parish include: Isel Old Park, Old Park Isell, Isell Old Park, Sunderland, Blindcrake, Isell and Redmain, and Blindcrake Isel and Redmaine.
Alternative names: Isall, Isell
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1669
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1666
Nonconformists include: Society of Friends/Quaker
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
ISELL, or ISALL, a village, a township, and a parish in Cockermouth district, Cumberland. The village stands on the river Derwent, 3 miles NE of Cockermouth r. station. The township bears the name of Blindcrake, Isell, and Redmain. Real property, £6,780. Pop., 335. Houses, 72. The parish contains also the townships of Isell Old Park and Sunderland. Post-town, Cockermouth. Acres, 6,760. Real property, £8,561. Pop., 492. Houses, 99. The property is much subdivided. The manor, with Isell Hall, belongs to Sir W. Lawson, Bart. Building stone is quarried; and coal and copper ore were formerly worked. A bridge of 1691 here spans the Derwent. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Carlisle. Value, £157. Patron, Sir W. Lawson, Bart. The church is ancient but good, and has a bell turret.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
FamilySearch Catalog - Free
Church records - Indexes
- County: Cumberland
- Civil Registration District: Cockermouth
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Carlisle (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Carlisle
- Rural Deanery: Allerdale
- Poor Law Union: Cockermouth
- Hundred: Allerdale below Derwent Ward
- Province: York