Irton is an Ancient Parish in the county of Cumberland.
Other places in the parish include: Melthwaite and Santon, Santon, and Irton, Santon and Melthwaite.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1697
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1676
Nonconformists include: Wesleyan Methodist
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
IRTON, a township and a parish in Bootle district, Cumberland. The township lies on the river Irt, 3 miles ENE of Drigg r. station, and 3 NNE of Ravenglass. The parish contains also the townships of Melthwaite and Santon; and its post town is Holmrook, under Whitehaven. Acres, 5,270. Real property, £3,885. Pop., 555. Houses, 93. The property is divided among a few. The manor has belonged, since before the Conquest, to the Irton family. Irton Hall is an ancient mansion, with a square tower; and stands on an eminence, commanding a fine view. Much of the land is hilly, and part is mountainous. Granite is largely quarried. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Carlisle. Value, £96. Patron, J. Ryder, Esq. The church is a modern edifice, on the site of an ancient one; has an embattled tower; and contains a carved oak pulpit, monuments to the Irton family, and a monument to Vice Admiral Hodgson. An ancient stone cross, about 10 feet high, is in the churchyard. There are a Wesleyan chapel, and charities £16.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
FamilySearch Catalog - Free
The memorial inscriptions of St. Mary’s Church, Gosforth, St. Paul’s Church, Irton, St. Peter’s Church, Drigg Author: Cumbria Family History Society
Poorhouses & Poor Law
- County: Cumberland
- Civil Registration District: Bootle
- Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Richmond Western Deaneries - Copeland
- Diocese: Carlisle
- Rural Deanery: Copeland
- Poor Law Union: Bootle
- Hundred: Allerdale above Derwent Ward
- Province: York