Irthington is an Ancient Parish in the county of Cumberland.
Other places in the parish include: Newby, Newton, Newtown, and Laversdale.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1705
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1669
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
IRTHINGTON, a village, a township, and a parish, in Brampton district, Cumberland. The village stands on the right side of the river Irthing, near the Roman wall, 2½ miles WNW of Brampton, and 4 NW by N of Milton r. station; and has a post office under Carlisle. The township comprises 947 acres. Real property, £1,990. Pop., 224. Houses, 48. The parish contains also the townships of Newby, Laversdale, and Newtown. Acres, 6,050. Real property, £8,083. Pop., 977. Houses, 210. The property is much subdivided. The manor belongs to the Earl of Carlisle and W. P. Johnson, Esq. The Nook, formerly the manor house, is a farmhouse. A castle stood here in the Norman times, perhaps also in the Saxon times; but is now represented by only a mound. Many ancient coins were recently found. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Carlisle. Value, £260. Patron, the Rev. W. Dacre. The church is transition Norman; was originally built all of Roman stones; was recently restored; and showed marks of fire, and other indications, which warrant the inference that it was the scene of fierce encounters in the times of the Border feuds. Charities, £21.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
FamilySearch Catalog - Free
Church records - Indexes
Poorhouses & Poor Law
- County: Cumberland
- Civil Registration District: Brampton
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Carlisle (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Carlisle
- Rural Deanery: Carlisle
- Poor Law Union: Brampton
- Hundred: Eskdale Ward
- Province: York