Ireby is an Ancient Parish and a market town in the county of Cumberland.
Other places in the parish include: High Ireby and Low Ireby.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1705
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1666
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
IREBY, a village, two townships, and a parish in Wigton district, Cumberland. The village stands on the river Ellen, near Caldbeck fells, 5 miles SSE of Leegate r. station, and 7 SSW of Wigton; is supposed by Camden to be the Arbeia of the Romans; was once a market town; and has now a post office under Wigton, and fairs on 21 Feb. and 18 Oct. The townships are Low Ireby and High Ireby; and the former contains the village. Acres, 831 and 2,701. Real property, £1,810 and £1,812. Pop., 337 and 128. Houses, 70 and 25. The parish consists of the two townships. The manor of Low Ireby belongs to F. L. B. Dykes, Esq.; and that of High Ireby, to Sir H. Vane-Bart. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Carlisle. Value, £64. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Carlisle. The church was rebuilt in 1847. There is a school with £10 a year from endowment.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
FamilySearch Catalog - Free
- County: Cumberland
- Civil Registration District: Wigton
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Carlisle (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Carlisle
- Rural Deanery: Allerdale
- Poor Law Union: Wigton
- Hundred: Allerdale below Derwent Ward
- Province: York