Hutton in the Forest is an Ancient Parish in the county of Cumberland.
Other places in the parish include: Thomas Close.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1729
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1662
Nonconformists include: Wesleyan Methodist
- Carlisle St Mary
- Newton Reigny
- Hesket in the Forest
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
HUTTON-IN-THE-FOREST, a township and a parish in Penrith district, Cumberland. The township lies in Inglewood forest, near the river Peterill and the Lancaster and Carlisle railway, 3 miles NW of Plumpton r. station, and 6 NW by N of Penrith. Real property, £1,895. Pop., 154. Houses, 27. The parish contains also the township of Thomas-Close. Post town, Penrith. Acres, 2,300. Real property, £2,584. Pop., 255. Houses, 45. The property is subdivided. The manor belonged anciently to the Huttons; and, with Hutton Hall, belongs now to Sir Henry R. Vane, Bart. Traces lately existed of an ancient fortification called Collinson castle. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Carlisle. Value, £130. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Carlisle. The interior of the church in 1866 was in disrepair. There are a Wesleyan chapel, a national school, and charities £21.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Civil Registration District: Penrith
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Carlisle (Episcopal Consistory)
Rural Deanery: Allerdale
Poor Law Union: Penrith
Hundred: Leath Ward