Houghton St John is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Cumberland, created in 1841 from Stanwix Ancient Parish.
Other places in the parish include: Kingmoor, Kingstown, and King Moor.
Alternative names: Houghton, Houghton St John with Kingmoor
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1840
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1841
- Crosby on Eden
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
HOUGHTON, a township in Stanwix parish, and a chapelry including also Kingmoor extra-parochial tract, Cumberland. The township lies on an affluent of the river Eden and on the North British railway, adjacent to the Roman wall, 2½ miles N by E of Carlisle. Acres, 1,478. Real property, £2,579. Pop., 369. Houses, 80. The chapelry was constituted in 1841; and its post town is Carlisle. Pop., 865. Houses, 178. Houghton Hall is a chief residence. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Carlisle. Value, £40. Patrons, Trustees. The church was built in 1840, and has a tower. There is an endowed school.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Civil Registration District: Carlisle
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Carlisle (Episcopal Consistory)
Rural Deanery: Carlisle
Poor Law Union: Carlisle
Hundred: Eskdale Ward