Holme Low is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Cumberland, created in 1851 from Holme Cultram Ancient Parish.
Other places in the parish include: Silloth.
Alternative names: Holme St Paul, Low Holme
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1850
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1850
Nonconformists include: Society of Friends/Quaker
- Holme Cultram
- Silloth Christ Church
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
HOLME (LOW), a township and a chapelry in HolmeCultram parish, Cumberland. The township lies on the Solway frith, round the terminal part of the Carlisle and Silloth railway; and contains the seaport town of Silloth, which has a post office under Carlisle. Real property in 1860, £8,266. Pop. in 1851, 922; in 1861, 1,538. Houses, 297. The increase of pop. arose from the erection of upwards of 100 houses at Silloth, forming the new town there; and a further increase has taken place since 1861. The chapelry was constituted in 1849; and is less extensive than the township. Pop., 1,521. Houses, 297. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Carlisle. Value, £220. Patron, the Incumbent of Holme-Cultram. The church was built in 1845.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Civil Registration District: Wigton
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Carlisle (Episcopal Consistory)
Rural Deanery: Allerdale
Poor Law Union: Wigton
Hundred: Allerdale below Derwent Ward