Hensingham is a chapelry of St Bees Ancient Parish in Cumberland.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1811
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1811
Nonconformists include: Wesleyan Methodist Association
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
HENSINGHAM, a village and a chapelry in St. Bees parish, Cumberland. The village stands on a rising ground, 1 mile SE of Whitehaven r. station; has a postoffice under Whitehaven; and conducts some trade in linen thread, linen fabrics, and ropes. The chapelry comprises 956 acres. Real property, £5,420. Pop. in 1851, 1,336; in 1861, 1,538. Houses, 314. Hensingham House was the seat of the Senhouses. Limestone is extensively quarried and calcined. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Carlisle. Value, £126. Patron, the Earl of Lonsdale. The church is modern; and there are a Primitive Methodist chapel, and a national school. Archbishop Grindall was a native.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
FamilySearch Catalog - Free
- County: Cumberland
- Civil Registration District: Whitehaven
- Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Richmond Western Deaneries - Copeland
- Diocese: Carlisle
- Rural Deanery: Copeland
- Poor Law Union: Whitehaven
- Hundred: Allerdale above Derwent Ward
- Province: York