Hayton (near Brampton) is an Ancient Parish in the county of Cumberland.

Other places in the parish include: Faugh and Fenton and Talkin.

Parish church: St. Mary Magdalene

Parish registers begin: 1619

Nonconformists include: Wesleyan Methodist

Table of Contents

Adjacent Parishes

Parish History

Hayton

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

HAYTON, a village, a township, a parish, and a sub-district in Brampton district, Cumberland. The village stands at the confluence of the rivers Irthin, and Gelt, ½ mile NW of How Mill r. station, and 2½ S of Brampton; and has a post-office under Carlisle.

The township includes the village, and extends into the country. Real property, £3,9847 Pop., 534. Houses, 119.

The parish contains also the township of Talkin, and that of Faugh and Fenton. Acres, 7,385. Real property, £10,623; of which £85 are in quarries. Pop., 1,256. Houses, 261. The property is much subdivided. The manor belongs to the Earl of Carlisle. Edmund Castle and Stone House are chief residences. Much of the surface is upland, and abounds in game. Talkin tarn is a lakelet, about a mile in circuit; and Talkin fell has coal.

The living is a vicarage united with the chapelry of Talkin, in the diocese of Carlisle. Value, £133. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Carlisle. The church was partly rebuilt in 1842, and has a small square tower. There is a chapel of ease at Talkin.

There are also a Wesleyan chapel, news-rooms for the working classes, and charities £20.

The sub-district contains also three other parishes, part of another, and two extra-parochial tracts. Acres, 21,281. Pop., 2,583. Houses, 533.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848

HAYTON (St. Mary Magdalene), a parish, in the union of Brampton, Eskdale ward, E. division of Cumberland; containing, with the townships of Faugh with Fenton, and Talkin, 1217 inhabitants, of whom 534 are in the township of Hayton, 8 miles (E. by N.) from Carlisle.

The village has a neat and respectable appearance. The rivers Gelt, Irthing, and Cairn, flow through the parish; and there is a lake one mile in circumference, called Talkin tarn. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £123; patrons and appropriators, the Dean and Chapter of Carlisle. The church, rebuilt by subscription in 1780, is a neat edifice, containing a marble tablet in memory of Sir James Graham, Bart., and another to several of the Grahams of Edmund Castle.

Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848

Talkin

Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales Circa 1870

Talkin, a township in Hayton, parish, Cumberland; on the Newcastle and Carlisle railway, 3 ¼ miles SSE of Brampton. Real property, £2,609; of which £85 are in quarries. Pop., 310. Houses, 60.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Lewis Topographical Dictionary of England 1845

Talkin, a township, in the parish of Hayton, union of Brampton, Eskdale ward, E. division of Cumberland, 3 miles (SE by S) from Brampton; containing 344 inhabitants. The township comprises 2357 acres, of which 1400 are common or waste land; it is bounded on the west by the river Gelt, and contains quarries of freestone and limestone, and collieries. The tithes have been commuted for £129. 5., of which £33. 15. are payable to an impropriator, £45. 10. to the Dean and Chapter of Carlisle, and £50 to the vicar of Brampton. Three valuable gold clasps were discovered in the year 1790, on Netherton farm, where a battle was formerly fought.

Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis Fifth Edition Published London; by S. Lewis and Co., 13, Finsbury Place, South. M. DCCC. XLV.

Parish Records

FamilySearch

England, Cumberland, Hayton – Census ( 1 )
Census returns for Hayton, 1841-1891
Author: Great Britain. Census Office

England, Cumberland, Hayton – Church records ( 5 )
Bishop’s transcripts for Holme-Eden, 1845-1865
Author: Church of England. Chapelry of Holme-Eden (Cumberland)

Bishop’s transcripts Hayton, 1665-1874
Author: Church of England. Parish Church of Hayton (Cumberland)

Bishop’s transcripts of the parish of Hayton, 1665-1812
Author: Church of England. Parish Church of Hayton (Cumberland); Shrewsbury, H. J.

Parish registers for Hayton, 1620-1986
Author: Church of England. Parish Church of Hayton (Cumberland)

[Transcript of marriages, 1665-1812, from the bishop’s transcripts for the parish of Hayton]
Author: Church of England. Parish Church of Hayton (Cumberland)

England, Cumberland, Hayton – Church records – Indexes ( 3 )
Computer printout of Hayton by Brampton, Cumberland, England

Computer printout of Holm Eden, St. Paul, Cumb., Eng

Parish register printouts of Hayton, Cumberland, England ; christenings, 1665-1724
Author: Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Genealogical Department

England, Cumberland, Hayton – History ( 1 )
Hayton, a Cumbrian village
Author: Lefley, Muriel

England, Cumberland, Hayton – Occupations ( 1 )
Parish records, 1713-1913
Author: Hayton (Cumberland)

England, Cumberland, Hayton – Poorhouses, poor law, etc. ( 1 )
Parish records, 1713-1913
Author: Hayton (Cumberland)

England, Cumberland, Hayton – Public records ( 1 )
Parish records, 1713-1913
Author: Hayton (Cumberland)

England, Cumberland, Hayton – Taxation ( 1 )
Parish records, 1713-1913
Author: Hayton (Cumberland)

Administration

  • County: Cumberland
  • Civil Registration District: Brampton
  • Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Carlisle (Episcopal Consistory)
  • Diocese: Carlisle
  • Rural Deanery: Carlisle
  • Poor Law Union: Brampton
  • Hundred: Eskdale Ward
  • Province: York

Related Parishes