Harrington is an Ancient Parish in the county of Cumberland.
Other places in the parish include: Bellaport Harbour.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1653
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1688
Nonconformists include: Primitive Methodist and Wesleyan Methodist.
- Workington St John
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
HARRINGTON, a small seaport town, a parish, and a sub-district in Whitehaven district, Cumberland. The town stands on Bellaport harbour, and on the Whitehaven Junction railway, 2¾ miles S of Workington; is of modern origin, and a sub-port to Whitehaven; carries on a considerable trade, chiefly as a focus of export for extensive neighbouring mines; has a ship-building yard and a ropery, and formerly had chemical works; and has a station on the railway, and a post-office under Carlisle. The harbour has a pier and a fixed light; the latter 44 feet high, visible at the distance of 11 miles, and put up in 1797. The parish comprises 2,338 acres of land, and 452 of water. Real property, £5,497; of which £86 are in ironworks. Pop. in 1851, 2,169; in 1861, 1,788. Houses, 426. The decrease of pop. was occasioned by the discontinuance of the chemical works, and by diminution of coal-working. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Carlisle. Value, £250. Patron, E. S. Curwen, Esq. The church is a neat edifice, with a tower; and there are chapels for Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
FamilySearch Catalog - Free
Church records - Indexes
- County: Cumberland
- Civil Registration District: Whitehaven
- Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Richmond Western Deaneries - Copeland
- Diocese: Carlisle
- Rural Deanery: Copeland
- Poor Law Union: Whitehaven
- Hundred: Allerdale above Derwent Ward
- Province: York