Haile is an Ancient Parish in the county of Cumberland.
Other places in the parish include: Wilton.
Alternative names: Hale
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1544
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1676
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
HAILE, or HALE, a parish in Whitehaven district, Cumberland; near Copeland forest, the river Eden, and the Whitehaven and Furness railway, 2½ miles SSE of Egremont. It includes the hamlet of Wilton; and its post town is Egremont, under Whitehaven. Acres, 3,220. Real property, £2,513. Pop., 302. Houses, 58. The property is subdivided. The manor, with Haile Hall, belongs to the Ponsonbys. Limestone and freestone abound. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Carlisle. Value, £82. Patron, the Earl of Lonsdale. The church is good, and contains two mural tablets to the Ponsonbys.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
FamilySearch Catalog - Free
- County: Cumberland
- Civil Registration District: Whitehaven
- Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of Richmond Western Deaneries - Copeland
- Diocese: Carlisle
- Rural Deanery: Copeland
- Poor Law Union: Whitehaven
- Hundred: Allerdale above Derwent Ward
- Province: York