Great Salkeld is an Ancient Parish in the county of Cumberland.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1571
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1668
Nonconformists include: Presbyterian, United Presbyterian Church of Scotland, and Wesleyan Methodist.
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
SALKELD (Great), a parish, with a village, in Penrith district, Cumberland; on the river Eden, near Force-Mill fall, 4½ miles ESE of Plumpton r. station, and 5¼ NE by N of Penrith. It has a post-office under Penrith, and a bridge. Acres, 3,724. Real property, £3,811. Pop., 502. Houses, 93. The manor belongs to the Duke of Devonshire. Remains exist of Dyke and Aikton-Castle camps, and of the pier of an ancient bridge destroyed by a flood in 1360. There is a chalybeate spring. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Carlisle. Value, £345. Patron, the Bishop of Carlisle. The church is ancient; and has a tower, which formerly was fortified. There are chapels for Independents and Wesleyans, and a national school. Bishop Law and Arch-deacon Paley were rectors; and the nonconformist Dr. Benson and Chief-Justice Ellenborough were natives.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
- County: Cumberland
- Civil Registration District: Penrith
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Carlisle (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Carlisle
- Rural Deanery: Allerdale
- Poor Law Union: Penrith
- Hundred: Leath Ward
- Province: York